Pic(k) of the week 15: Tour of Flanders - Ronde van Vlaanderen 2018

The Tour of Flanders, known as "De Ronde van Vlaanderen", is an annual road cycling race held every spring in my home country Belgium, which is often nicknamed "Vlaanderens Mooiste (Flanders finest). 

The yearly race has been held uninterrupted since 1919 and even took place while Germany was occupying Belgium during World War II.

Although I'm not a cycling enthusiast, I do like documenting traditional events like this. As I was just in Belgium for a week, I finally got the opportunity to do so.

Held on Sunday April 1st this year, the tour started in Antwerp and finished in Oudenaarde after 229km! The race is known for its short, steep cobbled climbs. The image below was taken on one of the last feared climbs, called the "Paterberg". 

Ronde van Vlaanderen 2018

Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF18-55 lens
  • ISO 3200, f8, 1/500s, 55mm
  • SOOOC (Straight Out Of Camera)
As typically there is an overload of different colour during these mass events, I straight away elected to document it in black and white. Unusual for me, I the shot in jpeg, using the Acros Yellow Film simulation, in camera. Elected to go for the square format, to avoid unwanted distractions.

More images of this great Flemish Social event, can be found here

Remember: "The race is won by the rider who can suffer the most" Eddy Merckx


BJORN

Comments