Pic(k) of the week 29: Walking the streets of Satwa

By the end of the month I'll be hopefully shooting Icelandic landscapes and Belgian air shows for the next three weeks. Probably a good time to share a few more environmental portraits from Dubai. 

Last Friday just before sunset, I grabbed my camera and went out to Satwa, Dubai. The Satwa neighborhood is one large melting pod (no pun intended in +45C) of local Emirati, Iranian and all kind of South-Asian cultures like Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Filipinos. Just around sunset and especially on Friday's (Friday equals Sunday in the Gulf) the place is full of energy. Quite in stark contrast with the ultra-modern high-rise buildings of Sheik Zayed road just a few blocks away but a must see for every first time visitor to Dubai!

2012 Pic(k) of the week 29: Walking the streets of Satwa



The image above of a Pakistani man, was made in a more quit backstreet. As explained in my previous post, "a 50mm look at Venice",  I went out with a single lens only, my  thrusty 50mm 1.4 lens. Not wanting to do any editing after I got home, I exceptionally shot in Black and White jpeg.


Image details:
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 50mm 1.4
ISO800, f4, 1/160, 50mm
Black & White jpeg straight out of the camera, except for the 4x5 crop done in Lightroom 4

More images of the "Walking the streets of Satwa" shoot can be found here.

Lastly for all my muslim friends around the world, wishing you all a "Ramadan Kareem"!

BJORN

Follow me on:

Comments