Pic(k) of the week 22: Fighting trees

Finally I got the time to take my new Nikon D800 camera body for a good spin outside... I'm in the middle of spending 10 days in my home country Belgium and have this far used the camera for aerial, night and HDR photography. Three of my main photography interests.


2012 Pic(k) of the week 22: Fighting trees

Yesterday afternoon I shot this 5 shot (-2,-1,0, +1,+2EV) HDR image of two huge backlit trees in a park nearby. Correcting chromatic abbaration on wide-angle shots of tiny details has always been very challenging. Shooting HDR makes this even more difficult. Those of you not familiar with the blue/magenta fringing around edges (Chromatic Aberration) can have a look here.

To my frustration I spend a few hours last night trying to correct the blue fringing around the hundreds of leaves in Photoshop. When I woke up this morning, I learnt that the latest version of Lightroom 4, (4.1) was now available and that it included a brand-new CA tool under the Lens correction tab. A quick selection with the color picking tool on one of the leaves and I was done! If only I knew last night!

Anyway, I'm still impressed with the detail in the D800 shot above and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Image details:
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 14-24 2.8 lens
RAW development in Lightroom 4.1 !!!
Photomatix 4 for HDR processing
ColorEfex for tonal contrast

Remember:

“There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept.” -Ansel Adams 

BJORN

Comments