Pic(k) of the week 25: A tribute to the Dakota DC-3

A few days days ago, I blogged about my visit to the La Ferte Alais, " Le Temps des Helices" airshow South of Paris. 

Most photos of the event went through my standard image editing process, however a few stood out!


2011 Pic(k) of the week 25: A tribute to the Dakota DC-3
The image above of the Douglas DC-3 Dakota leaving the active runway in the rain is definitively one of them! The DC-3 is what really made air travel accessible to each and everyone pre World War II. 

Just over 16000 Dakota-s were built and amazingly some of them are still in commercial service today! Last December was the 75th birthday of this vintage airliner. History TV docu-series, "Ice-Pilots" is a great illustration on how this magnificent bird is still used today under extreme conditions in Northern Canada. It is often said, "the only way of replacing a DC-3 is by getting another one"!

Image details:
Nikon D700, Nikkor 70-200 with 1.7 teleconverter
ISO 200, 340mm, 8f, 1/160s
RAW development in Lightroom 3
Black & White conversion and selective coloring, with Nik SilverEfex 2

I've always been a great fan of Nik's SilverEfex. Lately I've upgraded to SilverEfex 2 and I have not been disappointed! One of the interesting things one can now do with the version 2, is selective coloring. We have all seen the images of a red rose standing out in an overall B&W image. Unfortunately this is often over-done and misused. On the image above I wanted to bring back part of the colors to give it a vintage look. Personally I really like the end result! What do you think? I would appreciate Comments below please!

Don't just take pictures, make pictures!

BJORN
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Comments