Pic(k) of the week 39: Living in the bush!


In less than 18hrs, I should be on my way to the next photo adventure. I'm planning to spend two weeks with my wife, living in the bush on a combined holiday and photo-safari. Our initial destination is Windhoek, Namibia, where we will pick up a Toyota Hilux with a rooftop tent. From the capital of the old South-West Africa, we will leave on a +3500km trek around the Namibian wilderness. Our brief itinerary goes like this; Windhoek, Okonjima, Waterberg, Etosha, Damaraland, Skeleton coast, Swakopmund, Sossusvlei, Namib desert, Windhoek. 
Pic(k) of the week 39: Living in the bush!
This is my second photo-safari after the 2008 Kenyan edition. The image above was made on that trip as we were following 2 female lions who were about the catch a Zebra. The lions must have been upset with our presence since they decided to climb a nearby tree and rest for a while. The zebra on the other hand, is probably still thankful today!

Image details:
Nikon D200 with Nikkor 18-200 VR lens with 1.7 teleconverter
ISO 100, 375mm, f 5.6, 1/80sec
Lightroom 3 RAW processing
Nik Color Efex for optimum contrast

More images of our previous Kenyan safari can be found here.

For the ones interested, the following gear packed in a LowePro Computrekker AW is going with me:

-Nikon D700 (with extra batteries + battery grip)
-Nikkor 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses
-1.7 teleconverter
-Gitzo tripod with Markins ballhead
-Remote release
- Visible dust sensor cleaning kit
-Plenty of CF memory card (+24GB)
-Macbook with 250GB external backup storage drive
-iPhone 3GS and iPad with Motion X GPS app installed

Notice that I'm not taking a very long lens with me... I'm sure I'll be missing out on some far away wildlife shots, but I'll try to bring you a different perspective to wildlife photography! 

It's unlikely I will be able to blog from the wilderness before my return on Oct 13. Expect some interesting images soon after...

Till then,
Click that shutter,

Comments